Wednesday, October 19, 2005
10/20
Yesterday I took a 4WD trip to the Daintree Rainforest, which is the oldest surviving rainforest on earth. Knowing that, I was expecting to set huge tall trees, with their leaf canopy completely blocking out the run. Surprise. While the kinds of trees are very old, the large ones have been logged, so that it's the exception, rather than the rule, that a tree is over 100 years old. What a shame!
Meanwhile, I was on the lookout for a live platypus, the anumal which has most fascinated me since I was a little kid. They are mostly nocturnal, live in river banks, and very shy. Result: no sightings, although I did manage to see 2 pretty face kangaroos in the bush on the side of the road.
WHen I got back to the hostel I found that my bus reservation to Port Douglas had been cancelled. Luckily I was able to find another one that left shortly after. The trip is supposed to be lovely, but I don't know, since it was all at night. Port Douglas is a lovely historical town with lots of beautiful historical buildings and homes, lots of expensive shops, a huge marina, and LOTS of money. I'm staying at a great hotel with a wonderful palms and rocklined swimmingcpool. Plus washer, dryer, dishwasher, palm shaded balcony, and comfy beds. We booked at the last minute, so we got a great deal.
Tomorrow we go out onto the reef again for 2 last snorkels, then take a fast ferry back to Cairns. On Saturday we leave for 5 days in Sydney.
The weather is great, the surroundings are wonderful. It's a beautiful day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment