Saturday, October 29, 2005

After the Grab





Well, it's a lucky thing to live in the computerized age...everything can be worked out pretty fast. I was able to get a new purse (sold/given to me by a dear man at the train station market for $5), new passport pictures (free, instead of $12, once I told me tale of woe), and an emergency passport from the US consulate. The only freaky thing was that when I went in with my new purse, carrying a bottle of water, they made me drink some of the water to assure themselves it wasn't poison or something. After the picture I had to go to the Australian immigration to find out what to do about my visa, which had been electronically linked to my ""old"" passport. Turns out that I have to reapply when I get to New Zealand; they gave me the website. After that I went to American express where I got an emergency new card and a cash advance. When I get to Auckland I hope my new Visa card will be waiting, since nearly nobody here takes American express, and they don't at all in New Zealand.

Then what to do about my camera equipment, and the opals I bought that were taken.
I decided to replace only the camera. I went downtown and after a lot of shoppng bought a new camera to replace the one that was stolen.

That done, I spent yesterday afternoon at the weekend market at The Rocks, where I found a platypus refrigerator magnet and a bottle of BUG OFF, which I hope works as a deterrent to the hoards of flies that are everywhere here. The Rocks is the site of the original English settlement at what's become Sydney. The criminals lived at the foot of the rocks; the settlers and military lived atop the rocky cliffs (The Rocks) to separate themselves from the smell and the masses.
See attached historical picture of area

Before coming back to the hostel I went to the McDonalds by the harbor (the first time since I left the States, but I wanted a LARGE soda), and besides being waylayed by a VERY talkative elder lady weirdo, there was a pigeon flying around the store...which was a first for me.

Last night Sydney went on daylight savings time. Today was going to go opal shopping at Manly today, Sunday,but it's pouring for the first time since I left home, which is really amazing.

No comments: