Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Blue Mountains and Kangaroos




Today was wonderful! I didn't think seeing a platypus could be topped, but this day came pretty close. I got on the tour bus at 8AM, and we drove for about 2 hours out of Sydney along nearly the same road that the first convicts made, chained together, through the wild landscape so that the land beyong could be developed". The Blue Mountains are called that because they are mostly covered with eucalyptus trees and the trees extrude oil into the air, and from a distance that oil makes the mountains look blue. Sounds strange, but it's absolutely true.

There is a rock formation that's called the 3 Sisters. There're several versions of how they got there...they are one of the most famous sights in Australia.

My tour took me through a different kind of rainforest. The ones in Cairns was tropical rainforest; the one here is temperate rainforest. There were more ferns, fern trees and fewer large tall trees. Lots more eucalyptus trees of all kinds. And more flies. Swatting flies is what's known as the Australian salute. Disgustingly enough, one flew up my nose...I was totally freaked out; I guess it'll come out eventually. Ugh

The gramd finale of the day was a side trip to another natural park where there were kangaroos hopping all around, eating the grass and unconcerned with the people staring at them. I found a mother with a joey in her pouch. Just the tail and a leg was hanging out, very weird looking. I waited and followed her from a distance and eventually...a little adorable head popped out, and the baby started eating grass along with its mom. This was so amazing to see...I took pictures but still haven't found a way to upload my pictures onto this web site. Sigh!

No comments: