Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Grab and Snatch in Sydney Central Hostel

Surprise! At least it was to me. While I was posting my last blog and looking for epictures, a women snuck up and grabbed my purse which was on the floor just by my left foot. As I was leaving for the airport in 30 minutes, I had my whole life in it...credit cards, money (US, Australian and New Zealand dollars), my passport, my camera, the Epson 2000 my daughter and son in law had given me for the trip, my presceription sunglasses, the waterproof case for my camera....and of course all my photos disappeared as well.

I was left with nothing but 35 cents. Since I had bought the tickets to Auckland, Sandy couldn't get a refund, so she rushed out to the nearest ATM, took out several hundred dollars and lent me her credit card, then she had to leave.

I've spent the last 4 hours trying to put things back together so I can continue my trip. I had travel insurancewhich will cover the cost of the camera equipment, but not the 3 wonderful opals I'd picked out for Diana, Lisa and Martha.

I'm getting new passport photos taken today, and tomorrow I'll be able to pick up a cash advance and an American Express credit card. Too bad nearly nobody here takes that card.
A new Master Card should be awaiting me when I arrive in Auckland on Monday. I'll be chillin at the Sydney hostel until then...and hopefully will have no more adventures.

People here have been really wonderful, which has helped a lot. I''m going to try to replace my camera and the Epson here in Sydney before I leave. Replacing the driver's license, social security, meeicare, and other cards will have to come later. What a shock!

No comments: